ABC's Support Line | Wednesdays - Fridays 9am-5pm
ABC’s helplines are here for you to discuss issues about food and eating and initially the reasons why you (or the person you care about) have developed disordered eating or an eating disorder. Parents and carers also call us in distress if they suspect an eating disorder or have had their suspicions confirmed and are unsure of next steps.
Please note that we are not a counselling service, a crisis line or a general mental health organisation and staff will signpost you to helpful alternatives if necessary. As a small team responding to a huge need we ask that you keep your calls to 30 minutes unless you are calling us for the first time, and to refrain from calling multiple times during the day or week, as this prevents other people from getting through for their first call.
Our helplines are run by fully trained members of staff, who have both professional and personal experience of eating disorders. ABC’s helplines are open from 9 am to 5 pm Wednesday to Friday. More about our helplines.
What you can expect from a call with us
- A safe space in which to talk to people who have a professional and personal understanding of eating disorders, including a counsellor and registered nurse
- A service where callers feel able to speak openly about their concerns, knowing that the information is treated confidentially*
- Reassurance and emotional support with a focus on practical guidance and strategies to help you move forward
- An understanding of the services we offer and the additional help and resources we can provide
- Signposting to other organisations and support services
- As a member of the Helplines Partnership, we adhere to nationally recognised best practice standards.
We take caller confidentiality very seriously and aim to create a trusting relationship between helpline users and staff. Callers' personal details are not shared with third parties unless consent has been given, and only on a 'need to know' basis. Exceptions to this are detailed in our Confidentiality Policy (see below) and are made only where there is a potential risk to the caller or others and/or where required by law.
Read ABC's Confidentiality Policy
Read ABC's Charter