Who can I talk to about my young son?

fingers crossed

fingers crossed

28 posts

Posted 6 months ago

I can just advise to find out as much as you can about the illness, and reading others stories always help. My daughter who has an eating disorder is older than your son, but whatever the age I think that the process still takes time. I expect that he is unhappy because he feels like he is not in control anymore as you probably know individuals control their eating when they feel out of control of other things in their life The key thing that I have found is that the focus for recovery is understandably on food and weight gain because that is what the body needs to repair, but equally you also need to help him with his fears the eating disorder is usually coping strategy. I also have a son, again he is older and he does not have an eating disorder but trying to talk to him about feelings etc. can be an impossible task, I have found that he talks better when we are doing something he enjoys - for my son it's walking - so try to do something that he enjoys doing and then see if you can find out what is causing him to seek the perceived safe place of the eating disorder. If it something that he will need counselling for he will have to be a certain weight before counselling can happen.
Your support will mean a lot to him even though it may not seem so , hope things continue to improve x

Bertie

Bertie

1 post

Posted one year ago

My 9 year old son has been slowly withdrawing from his friendship group. He is small for his age and has always been a bit of a picky eater but lately he seems to have cut out more food groups. His weight is dropping and it seems as if his personality is changing, I have done some research and I suspect that he has an eating disorder. He has a two close friends who he has gone through school with but he always seems to make an excuse when he is asked to go around to tea at their house. I dont know if I should ask his freinds about him as they seem to be getting a bit fed up with him. My son has never  found it very easy to talk about how he's feeling, my sister says that I should just come out with it and ask him directly but I dont think that that will work, I was just wondering how has anyone else has managed this?

Caryl

Caryl

1 post

Posted 6 months ago

My son was 10 when exactly the same things as you are describing happened. He has been diagnosed with anorexia a and has just recently reached the correct weight for his age and height after a 2 week hospital stay. His moods seem to have gotten worse as he gained the weight over the last 2 months. I expect that this is normal. Feeling very anxious as my husband and I don't know what to expect next but realise that we still have a long road ahead.

Click here to share your stories of hope and good news