What are your thoughts on the recovery process

fingers crossed

fingers crossed

28 posts

Posted 4 months ago

What you describe sounds very familiar, there have been some days when I have thought that we are really out of the woods and then something happens to pull me up and realise that we still have a distance to go. But the thing that has really helped my daughter is holistic treatments that is not for her eating disorder but on the feelings that have lead her to the eating disorder, she now seems to be giving herself permission to be, I hesitate to say anything that might jinx it all, but I do feel optimistic we do have our fingers crossed x

ABC

ABC

Admin
104 posts

Posted 4 months ago

I have heard so many different views on recovery, I have heard so many stories. It is interesting how different the stories are. It is also interesting how many people who have never been close to someone battling an eating disorder have views about recovery from an eating disorder. What have you heard? and what has your experience been?
It seems to me that the common belief is that full recovery is not possible. For us we have all had to hold onto the belief that recovery is possible. I remember one evening driving my child back to the unit after a weekend at home, my child turned to me and said when will this ever change? At that moment I could not imagine how it was going to change and I felt so sad. We drove through the dark night to the unit where I would leave my child for another week.
Four years later recovery looks different; there have been brilliant times when you can even forget about it and other times when it seems to throw its dark cloak of confusion and despair over our family. I see recovery as a wobbly spiral staircase travelling upwards; wobbly because things are better some days than others and a spiral because at times you seem to be going over the same ground, but for my child she has kept a momentum towards a more normal relationship with her eating.
It is not a quick process and for me it seems that it cant be hurried but I want to tell you to keep believing and moving towards recovery. I can see that things will probably never be as they were before. The Japanese have a word "Gopnik, " when a pot is broken it is mended with gold glue, the intention is to make the pot better than it was before with the golden seams and that is just how I feel about my child and us as a family. Recovery is still in progress and there are still some hard days; my child is still working hard, making the choice every day to eat and she is recovering and becoming more beautiful, less anxious and happier in her skin.
How is recovery for you and your family?

Click here to share your stories of hope and good news