Helping them to think straight

ABC

ABC

Admin
104 posts

Posted 5 months ago

Just a thought the only person who needs to give permission to share their care information is subject of the information so in this case that is the young man that you are looking after. As he is 20 plus it is all his choice the parents wishes do not actually have any sway, so maybe have the discussion with him. Great that you have had a supportive discussion with the eating disorder service. From my experience the person who is suffering from an eating disorder can prefer the numbness of their world rather than facing the thoughts and feelings that may be too much for him if he restores. The problem that I am hearing about is that the eating disorder and health services expect the patient to comply, I have heard of many cases where care and support has been threated because the person with the ED will not comply the services don't always seem to understand that it is part of the illness and that the person with the ED is very, very reluctant to engage. I know that you will do your best to get him to the ECG I hope that you succeed.

ABC

ABC

Admin
104 posts

Posted 5 months ago

I am making this post as the ABC administrator. I am hoping to encourage more online conversation. I do realise how exposing it may feel to make a first post on this forum and so I am suggesting a theme. From my work with ABC and my own experiences with my own adult child I realise how complex and confused an adult child with an eating disorder can become. For some their cognitive abilities are inhibited and dominated by their eating disorder, they can be very defensive and they do not always tell the truth. As a parent it was a bewildering place to be in, I was trying to support her, but it was very difficult. Does this ring a bell with you? What did you do about it ? Have things improved ?

HappyGardener

HappyGardener

5 posts

Posted 5 months ago

I am feeling at a loss at what to do to support a close family member who at one point deened sleeping rough as preferable to living with parents. So I find myself trying to support a 20 yr with complex mental health issues when I had chosen not to have children. I am on a very steep learning curve and not sure whether I am helping or hindering at the moment. I keep asking myself whether I am enabling binge eating; but at the same time scared that if I do not buy the sugary drnks etc will they survive the day as the currently have a BMI of 13.5. Iget home from work and call up yhe stairs and wait for an answer to make they are still alive.

fingers crossed

fingers crossed

28 posts

Posted 5 months ago

Oh goodness, so is the young person living with you now? There are so many questions; have they seen any medical professionals? as if they have such a low BMI they should be being monitored by the GP this includes bloods and monitoring the heart. They should also be referred to an eating disorder team. This young person obviously trusts you maybe when they feel that the rest of the world is too difficult so well done you are probably keeping her alive. With such a low BMI they should really be following a refeeding diet as the body will find it had to manage high fat/sugar foods, so really it needs to be staged. Also they will attach emotions to food so they may devour the shakes for a short time but then they may hate themselves for drinking such high calories foods for a much longer time. It is so complicated, I am a mum of someone who has had an eating disorder for 6 years so I have seen many different manifestations, currently things are looking brighter. But with such a low BMI as your young person their brain will also be malnourished, het thought processes will slow and so weight gain is crucial, it's only really then when you get to a healthy BMI that counselling to address the underlying issues can begin. I hope that helps a bit in some way, just remember you are there yo are supporting and although they may not show it they are grateful for your care,

HappyGardener

HappyGardener

5 posts

Posted 5 months ago

Had a lengthy talk with eating disorder clinic today. There is s limit to what they can tell me as my family member won't give authority to share info. So I givevthem my observations and they give me general guidance. He is refusing to engage and cancelled the appointment he had today. Still living with me. Has had 1 set of blood tests and they want him to have some more. Which he has not mentioned to me. He has an ECG on Thursday.

ABC

ABC

Admin
104 posts

Posted 5 months ago

Just wondering how you are getting on

HappyGardener

HappyGardener

5 posts

Posted 5 months ago

Thank you for asking. Ok at the moment. He is re-engaging with the Eating Disorder Team and went to his re-scheduled appointment today and they plan to look at small group therapy seesions with him. He has spent time with his siblings this weekend and has plans to see them in a couple of wks.

ABC

ABC

Admin
104 posts

Posted 2 months ago

Hi
I am looking over the posts and I was wondering how things are going for you and this young man?

ABC

ABC

Admin
104 posts

Posted 4 months ago

That all sounds very positive, and thank you its good to know how he is getting on, please take it as a good sign that he is engaging with the services. It is also very positive that he has seen his siblings. keep up the good work

fingers crossed

fingers crossed

28 posts

Posted 4 months ago

Hi there haven't been on here for a while I was wondering if you have any good news about the young person that you are looking out for?

Click here to share your stories of hope and good news