wider family

ABC

ABC

Admin
103 posts

Posted 6 months ago

Hi Alison,
I was wondering how you have got on with talking to the rest of the family, have you done it, was it useful and do you have any observations to share with us?

Alison

Alison

2 posts

Posted 8 months ago

After a first diagnosis I wonder if anyone has advice on involving or not involving the wider family &/or friends in what is going on. At the moment we have told no one else. This probably makes it easier on my daughter... but I'd be interested in anyone else's experience.

fingers crossed

fingers crossed

28 posts

Posted 8 months ago

Hi there, I found it quite difficult to get the rest of the family to understand what anorexia is how it manifests and how to behave around her . My daughter has been through some very dark times there was even one day when I had to turn my sister away from the front door as my daughter was about to have her meal and the sound of a knock on the door had freaked her. I have also has a lot of advice from my family which is well meant but focused on action to control her behaviour by being much firmer with her - well meant I know that but not really applicable. I also think that secrets grow and distort in the darkness of secrecy but then again I hesitated telling people. After a short time I did tell everyone but after I had done my best to understand and with letting my daughter know that I was going to tell others(she wasn't really happy about it). I understand when you say it will be easier for your daughter, but my thinking was if it was an obvious physical problem ie. a broken limb I wouldn't keep it a secret and what my daughter was going through was far worse than a broken limb, so I tried to tell people and give them some information and suggestions about how to be around her at the same time. It didn't always work out, but on the whole I don't regret it.

Alison

Alison

2 posts

Posted 7 months ago

Thanks for your comments. It is always good to hear someone else's experience and helps put everything into perspective

ABC

ABC

Admin
103 posts

Posted 2 months ago

Hi Alison,
I am looking through the posts and I wonder how you and your family are getting on ?

Click here to share your stories of hope and good news