Contacting your MP

ABC

ABC

Admin
93 posts

Posted 11 months ago

although I am posting this as abc administrator my posts are those of a mum who has supported my daughter since her eating disorder began when she was 19 she is now 25. She spent the first 2 years of the illness in eating disorder units. The last unit did well, she stayed in as long as she could because she was worried about continuing care in the community, she wanted to get as well as she could before she was discharged. She was discharged the care was disjointed and bureaucratic, she got a job and so making appointments became difficult, the crisis services were good at her crisis times but otherwise she has disengaged with them. She has struggled and is struggling, but still they are ineffective. They say that she need to engage but they make it so difficult and they fail to see that a person with an eating disorder lives in a world of subterfuge and untruths they are not going to reach their hand out to recover. So my daughter goes to the GP because she is struggling, the GP refers her, after a while a letter comes asking why she has missed the appointment , however she has not always had the letter, I am not naive, she is not a total innocent but the fact is they have not managed to engage her and her weight has dropped significantly which makes recovery so much more difficult. So the point of this post is that I have asked to see my MP. I wrote to him when he was elected asking what he was going to do to support my daughter, I received a rather wishy washy letter. In the meantime my daughter has tried and failed to engage with eth services so I have manage to get a 1:1 meeting in a few weeks. Has anyone else contacted their MP? If so ow did you get on?

ABC

ABC

Admin
93 posts

Posted 9 months ago

I know that I am replying to my own post but I wanted to post an update. I met my MP who gave me 15 minutes but in that time convinced me that he wants to help. He told me that he lost a friend to the illness aged 18. He is contacting the clinical commissioning group for an update on mental health/eating disorder budget and he has made a date to meet me and my daughter in a month to update me. I am not under any illusions but I feel that the more that I put a case for increased, targeted, funding and focused, sensitive and effective out patient care maybe the closer the nhs will come towards delivering a service that meets the desperate need,.....just maybe?

fingers crossed

fingers crossed

28 posts

Posted 3 months ago

I would like to support ABC, my MP has been supportive in appealing to the student loans company on my daughters behalf, we do not know the outcome yet but having his support is very valuable. My daughter had to leave uni twice very early on, she was too ill to continue with her study, each time she was only there for about 4 weeks but Student Finance measure that as an entire years study. To address this we have been on a manic letter chase form each uni and from each ED unit that she went into. It is very stressful as we are now 5 years on and at last she has found a subject that she is passionate about, but I saw all of her new found assurity crumble when she had the letter from Student Finance saying that they will not pay her tuition, we are appealing under compelling circumstances - wish us luck

Click here to share your stories of hope and good news