A long process

ABC

ABC

Admin
93 posts

Posted one year ago

I just wanted to write this for new parents and carers joining this on line community. when my daughter was first diagnosed 6 years ago, I sort of didn't believe it and thought that she wouldn't be like the others suffers that I read about, I wanted it to be a blip. I wanted her to be back on track in a month. Friends who knew tried to let me down gently. Now I find myself counselling friends in the same position that I found myself in 6 years ago. I try to be positive even when I feel like screaming. I am writing this post to you if you are at the beginning of that same journey. I have found that recovery is an unpredictable journey, but it is just that, it is a journey, you have to go through the stages, I couldn't find a short cut. You will spend a lot of timing worrying, fearing and being angry, but it does not last forever. You may feel as if you are standing still because recovery is slow. My daughter said to me, "It's ridiculous how quick it is to learn an eating disorder habit and how long it takes to un- learn it ". My daughter is still in recovery, she had 2 years in different units and she has worked full time ever since was discharged, she has not always found this easy. She has times when she does well and times when she wobbles. But she is an amazing woman, she has her eyes on the prize of being free to throw her head back and laugh. She is finding it a bit of a struggle at the moment, but as I say recovery is a journey and now in her challenging time she is talking to me honestly, (and that has not always been the case). It is lovely to actually talk to my daughter and not the illness.

rabbitholes

rabbitholes

11 posts

Posted one year ago

Thank you for your honesty on recovery . I can see that now but was hoping for the blip " version" . What i find hard is not to react with fear when the recovery route de tours and tries to do a U turn !! Had anyone got any advice on coping with recovery and staying calm when you hit setbacks ??

Click here to share your stories of hope and good news