I'm worried about my mum

ABC

ABC

Admin
93 posts

Posted one year ago

My mum lives on her own now that we have all left home and have families of our own and her partner of the last 10 years died a year ago. She lives about half an hour away from me. She used to be pretty healthy and kept well but lately I notice that food stays in the fridge until it goes out of date and then it goes in the bin. She says that there is no problem, that she doesn't really feel like cooking for just her. She is getting thin, she looks suddenly much older as her skin looks drier and more wrinkled and her hair looks thinner. She is refusing to go to the doctor or get any help, firstly I thought that it was grief for her loss, but I read that there are growing instances of eating disorders in older women, should I take control, should I make her come to the doctors with me?

rabbitholes

rabbitholes

11 posts

Posted one year ago

Maybe you should try and eat with her a couple of times of week , have her over as she lives so near and try a meal at hers if her anxiety around food is bad , if you feel things are not right after these meals suggest you go together to see your gp . Maybe she associates eating only with other people if she is used to haveing a family and a partner it can be hard to be bothered to cook for just one .

Click here to share your stories of hope and good news